About My Trip

This summer I am participating in the Summer Intensive Program at Nagoya University.   This 6-week program in Nagoya, Japan is an opportunity to study with 15 students from NU and 15 International students.  The program will provide a chance to connect with and play a role in automobile technology and offers academic credits towards my graduate degree. 

Monday, July 14, 2008

Leaving Japan...for real this time :-(

Well...I'm out.  But my 6 and 1/2-week stay in Japan ended wonderfully!

On Friday I did final Nagoya touring.  I went to the Nagoya City Art Museum, which provided a relaxing way to hang out indoors on a very hot day.  I then just walked around the city, enjoying the day, until my 5pm train to Osaka.  
I arrived in Osaka around 6:30 and Asae's mom, Junko, was waiting for me as my train arrived.  We went to visit a friend of hers and then had an AMAZING sushi dinner!!  Masa (Asae's father) also joined us.  I tried taco yaki and the best sushi and sashimi I'd ever had!  I even ate a shrimp head...that was weird...but yummy.  Stuffed, we returned to their apartment for the night.

On Saturday we visited Asae's grandparents in "the country".  They live outside of Kyoto in a tiny mountain town.  The area was beautiful and the house was over 100 years old and very traditional.  We then went to an Onsen, a bathing hot spring.  This was something I definitely wanted to experience before leaving and this was a perfect time to go.  I have been VERY tired the past couple days and the onsen was relaxing.  Then we went to a 'famous' soba restaurant in Izushi.  We returned to the grandparents' where I napped on the floor.

Sunday was also extremely atsui (hot) so Masa and Junko took me on a riverboat tour of Osaka.  This was my ideal way to see the city, in AC.  We then had a late lunch in a civic building designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (a popular influence during the Meiji era).  From there, it was off to a night in Tokyo.

Sunday night I arrived in Tokyo around 8pm and caught a taxi to the hotel.  I was only staying for 1 day so I ventured out for the night in the Akasaka
 and Roppongi areas.  There weren't many people on the streets, but the lights were pretty.  I even made my way to Tokyo Tower (looks like Eiffel tower).  I ca
lled it a night and knew I'd have a long day of walking ahead of me.
Monday I started around 9:30 and followed and 'Art Map' of Tokyo that Glen gave me.  I started at the National Art Center where they had exhibitions of European Still Life, Calligraphy, and my favorite, "Utopia: the Genius of Emily Kame Kngwarreye".  The final exhibition was spectacular!  I then headed to the Suntory Art Museum, as well at the Mori Art Museum...both were closed, but I saw a spectacular view of the city from the top of Roppongi Towers and fixed my disappointment with an Issey Miyake scarf!!

After that purchase, I was broke, so I headed to the train station to return to Nagoya.
Last night was my final in Japan.  Luckily Dustin and Charlie were still in town so we had an exciting night of Hard Rock Cafe (yum!) and one last karaoke!  I retired for the night in my comfy Hilton room and repacked.  Now I guess I'm really leaving...in about 10 minutes.  Its going to be horrible trying to tote my luggage to the airport!  I must catch a taxi to the train station, then a train to the airport.  Wish me luck!  

In about 24 hours, I'll be in Hawaii!!

No comments:

Bird's Eye View

Bird's Eye View
Alaska (Left) and Japan (Right)