About My Trip

This summer I am participating in the Summer Intensive Program at Nagoya University.   This 6-week program in Nagoya, Japan is an opportunity to study with 15 students from NU and 15 International students.  The program will provide a chance to connect with and play a role in automobile technology and offers academic credits towards my graduate degree. 

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Last Weekend in Nagoya

Wow...the past week has really gotten me down...only because I'm not ready to leave this place...or these people!  The biggest difference from my other study abroad programs is how many international students I have met during this trip.  Not to be too much of a downer, but I know its very unlikely that I will get to see many of my new friends again after this trip.  This group has been amazing!  Fun, intelligent, and everyone is so nice and get along so well!  The reason for these thoughts are because I had another Amazing week/weekend!


Thursday's lecture was on recyclable materials for automotive.  I was so in to it!  I'm sure a lot of the reason for my excitement is because I've done some pretty heavy research into sustainable and recyclable textiles for automotive use.  Maybe I should take this interest further into my research?

All of our "free" time over the past week has been dedicated to our final projects for seminar class.  We really only have about 2 weeks to work on these group presentations and papers.  My group (Kai, Dustin, and Miki) is working very hard and have put forth a great effort.  I'm actually pretty excited about presenting although, because of the time limit, this will not quite be to the level of a professional research paper... but we're trying to make it as fun as possible. We will finish tonight and are the first group to present on Monday (which also means we are the first group finished!)

On Friday, we were invited to enjoy the Alumni Association Higashiyamakai, Department of Mechanical Engineering at Nagoya University in an "Evening Salon".  This event (including sandwiches and wine) unveiled the "Secret Story of the Development of the New Lexus".  Mr. Moritaka Yoshida, Chief Engineer of Toyota Motor Corporation shared  with us (through a simultaneous interpreter) and even gave us a chance to see his personal Lexus LS460.

Following the event, Seigi, Victor, Kai, Dustin, Yusuke, and I headed for the beach!  (I hear Japan is an island).  This was a fun and rare adventure for visitors.  Seigi and Yusuke rented a car, which seemed to be the only way to get to the tip of the Aichi Prefecture.  We stayed the night Friday and then needed to travel about another hour to reach the beach...and surf shop.  Victor (of course the California boy) tried his best to teach us how to surf.  That was something I've never tried before...and I think we tried the right spot.  The entire area was surfers...so when I tired out, I was the only one trying to soak up the rays.  I didn't manage actual surfing, but at least got a good feel for fighting with the waves while attached to a board and sitting on it while waiting (which is actually pretty difficult for a first time!).   We only had about 3 hours before we needed to head back (so we could return the car on time) but that was still plenty enough time to burn (oops).  Overall, it was an excellent trip!  That evening we walked around our area of Nagoya (which we now know is only blocks away from the red light...yikes!).

Today I finally headed to the zoo, which I have been trying to do since I got here!  It was fun and definitely an enjoyable way to spend the day...but it was HOT!  Even so, its always nice to walk around a new area.  The rest of the day I have been working on our project and our group will meet soon to combine our slides and make final adjustments.  Wish us luck!

No comments:

Bird's Eye View

Bird's Eye View
Alaska (Left) and Japan (Right)