About My Trip

This summer I am participating in the Summer Intensive Program at Nagoya University.   This 6-week program in Nagoya, Japan is an opportunity to study with 15 students from NU and 15 International students.  The program will provide a chance to connect with and play a role in automobile technology and offers academic credits towards my graduate degree. 

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Midland, Nagoya Station, and Sakae

Today Seiji offered to lead a group of us to some key spots in Nagoya.  We first went to Midland Square, an area of Nagoya with the main building reaching 53 stories at 247 meters.  There are 6 floors underground (like many things in Japan) that house high-brand stores and restaurants.  We glanced inside but I'd really like to go back to the Observation Deck...the highest in Nagoya.

We then went inside Nagoya Station (the largest in the world).  This was definitely the most crowded and fast-paced area I've seen since I've been here.  There were stores and restaurants everywhere.  Looking for a price-conscious lunch, our group ended up at McDonald's where I had a shrimp burger.  It was very tasty!  

We then walked to an area near our apartments known as Sakae.  This is Nagoya's downtown district.  I walked through the area on the way to the castle, but just a block from where I was, and what we saw today, were all the very high-end stores.  One block had 2 huge Louis Vuittons on different corners, Coach, Tiffany & Co., and many other stores I cannot afford.  But its nice to look.  We also caught some live music...Japanese rap.  

Believe or not, the boys went shopping and I had to head back.  My feet are very soar from 4 intense days of walking and I was tired from a late night of Karaoke!

And the best part of the day!...I got to meet up with Kerry Pumphrey!!  Kerry is a NCSU Textiles graduate working with Guilford Mills (a North Carolina-based performance textiles manufacturer).  They sent her to Nagoya early in the year and she has been living here working in an office of 3 total employees and serving as the only Designer.  It was WONDERFUL to talk to her about Japan, and I drilled her about the work that she is doing with Guilford.  Kerry is so informative and its so good to hear her first-hand experience in the industry.  I hope to spend more time with her before she leaves on June 20th, and even visit her office.   I think the best part may have been spending some time with familiar face, Phi Psi brother, and a female!  (Sorry boys, but its nice to get a girls perspective every once in a while)

1 comment:

emily said...

Hey Jenna! First I wanted to say congratulations on being in Japan. That sounds soooo awesome. :) But I wanted to add that it is so very cool that Kerry is in Nagoya right now as well! I bet it is nice, in such an unfamiliar place, to have a friend/brother/awesome CoT alum to connect with. I love it, we're all over the world, people from the college. :)

I hope you're having a fantastic time in Japan - I'm definitely keeping up with the blog, love the pictures.

Bird's Eye View

Bird's Eye View
Alaska (Left) and Japan (Right)