About My Trip

This summer I am participating in the Summer Intensive Program at Nagoya University.   This 6-week program in Nagoya, Japan is an opportunity to study with 15 students from NU and 15 International students.  The program will provide a chance to connect with and play a role in automobile technology and offers academic credits towards my graduate degree. 

Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Little Self-Exploration

Today we only had 1 Japanese lesson (9:30-12:00).  It is the only day we are done at noon, so I decided to take advantage.  I hurried back to the apartment to grab some lunch, stared at a map for a while, and decided to head towards Nagoya Castle.  I didn't know how far it was, or if I'd make it in 1 day...but it was driving me nuts to not know my environment.  Our area of Nagoya is actually really easy to navigate.  There is a Central Park that is a half block wide and runs from highway to the next.  As long as I stay between the 4 overpassing highways...getting lost is virtually impossible.  At the beginning of my journey, I came across a bus station with an interesting architecture.  I started to walk pass it, but when I looked closer, I realized that the clear rough had a pool of water on top...more than what rain alone could do.  As I got closer and looked down into the opening, I was an entire mall underneath.  I was actually able to walk to the roof where there was a fountain pool.  Known as Oasis 21, this area gave a great view of the city.  

I continued walking to the side of the park and saw lots of fancy stores and hotels.  The sprinkle that had started when I left the apartment was getting heavier...but I pushed on.  It is rainy season so I can't just sit around waiting for the sun to come out.  I didn't watch the time, but quite a bit later I reached another overpass, which meant the Castle was somewhere nearby. I started to follow a couple school children and decided that anywhere they can go, I can go too.  I came to a gate that had some English writing on it.  For less than $5, I could enter the Castle grounds.  I made it this far, so why not.  I spent a considerable amount of time walking the grounds, which were BEAUTIFUL!  There were so many different types of plants and stone walkways.  The entire area was surrounded by a moat that was still a moat!  I finally found the Castle (AMAZING!) but decided to save going inside for another day.  

The very successful trip ended with what I decided is a 2 mile walk back to the apartment in what became a serious downpour.  By time I reached the last block back, my umbrella had soaked all the way through and was dripping on me.  Its all part of the experience.  I was certainly not alone soaking wet and walking the streets and it actually wasn't completely unpleasant, especially since the temperature was in the mid 70s.
I've added links for pictures...enjoy!  I'm going to retire kinda early again tonight.  Tomorrow is a long day a Meiji-mura...I'm Pumped!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did the moat around the castle keep the black knight at bay? :)

Bird's Eye View

Bird's Eye View
Alaska (Left) and Japan (Right)